Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ready, set...stop

My first Tai Chi class. I'm hooked. Doing something yet relaxing. A workout. Forgetting daily cares yet remembering something forgotten.

Normally each day I do what I've planned, or make plans. I try to sit and relax and enjoy the flowers. Eventually I think of something I wanted to do and go do that.

I overheard the instructor say something like this to one person in the class: "It's not about doing it right--however you do is right."

But this Tai Chi engages me yet I can let go. I'm practicing with the DVD and look forward to next week's class.

Everyone is different, everyone has a different path from our own path. We're immersed in competition from a young age. At schools we compete with each other for a high grade, we compete in sports to win or be at least better than someone else.

But competition can go too far. We can lose sight of the truth that "it's not about doing it right--however you do it is right." So when someone else is slower than yourself, or not as sophisticated, or just beginning when you are an expert, or hasn't had your experience or luck or practice--encourage them. Don't judge people by comparing them to your track record. You will always learn something from them, if you set yourself aside, and say "ready, set...stop."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home